August 13, 2015

America Through Ukrainian Eyes.

This year, my old desire to visit America came true. The interview for a visa at the embassy was in May of this year. I was surprised that there are no queues, everything right on schedule. Speaking to the American Consul, I felt that the most important thing for Americans, so that people who come to their country, would not have any bad goals in mind, and be honest to others.

Sergei

From the time of coming here I changed a few perceptions of America.
1. Prior to my arrival to America, I imagined that there are only tall buildings and skyscrapers, and bunch of people walking the streets. Well, as usually it in the movies. The first city where I touched American soil, was Salt Lake City, where I landed. I was surprised: where are the tall buildings, this city hosted the Olympic Games once! And not many people walk the streets, where are people?! Only later I came to understand that the people here are using area to build, not the height, because they have enough territory. And people will not walk the streets, because they have cars, almost everyone.
2. Also, at home I heard that a lot of people here eat only in fast foods. It is not true. Of course, Americans love them, but there are also many other places just as crowded. For example, Mexican food, or any Asian, there is everything you want. Before word "Fast food" I perceived as a "bad food" - such feelings arise, and now it's any place where one can eat fast, and the food can be different.
3. Of course, I was surprised that all water served with ice. In Europe they give you ice water only when you ask for ice. The first week I had a cold and sore throat constantly. And how on earth do the Americans digest food in the stomach, if temperature there about 0 degrees Celsius.
4. I liked that there are many people from different corners of the world, all speak different English, and have their accent. And in order to understand each other, it's not enough only listen to the words, people try to feel what a person needs. Therefore, people here are sensitive and emotional, open and interested in each other.
5. The most extraordinary and unusual was the fact that people always ask "How are you" or "How's it going". And always answer "Good". Well, why ask if always get the same answer!? When instead of "Good" I replied "It's hot here, and the rest is good", then they always asked: "What, what did you say?" Maybe it was unusual for them to hear something else. Then my American friends told me that people ask all this in order to feel each other. In these few words it is already incorporated all the internal state in which the sides are. After two months I already can not communicate without saying, "Hello, how are you."

I see that this country will develop, as people here are friendly to each other, try to understand each other, why someone stopped by, and don't mind helping him. There is a great spiritual freedom in how to live and how to develop, except that this freedom should be directed in the right direction.
People are nice here and glad to see others. I hope that I will meet many many good Americans.
Sergei. 

The articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent this Program’s official position. 

No comments:

Post a Comment